Friends of Jesus is a community of small groups gathering across the DC metro region. Everything we are and do together flows out of the relationships that we develop in these small groups. In communities of roughly 6-12 people, we gather for mutual support, to explore the Bible, and to learn how to pray and experience the presence of God more deeply. We discover God inviting us to become a blessing to our friends, family, neighbors and co-workers. We actively seek ways to make a positive impact in our city.
What happens in your small groups?
We don’t always do the same thing. For example, sometimes we simply get together and have a cookout or social event of some kind. Other times, we may participate together in a service project that blesses our neighborhoods and city. And, once a month, we gather with the whole Friends of Jesus community for a larger gathering.
Most of the time, our small group meetings include:
- Social time and check-ins: We get to know one another on a personal level, make friends and welcome new folks.
- Bible reflection: We read Scripture together and welcome each person to share their own reflections and questions. We look for ways to apply the wisdom we encounter in the Bible to our daily lives.
- Worship: We take time to wait together in silence and allow God to speak directly to our hearts. Sometimes, one or more of us may feel led to share a brief message, a song, or something else for the group.
- Prayer: We take time to pray over concerns raised and allow anyone the opportunity to pray as they feel led.
How can I get involved?
Our small groups are always open to new participants, so let us know if you’d like to get connected. Right now, we are at the beginning of our fall cycle (September-November), and we have two active small groups:
- DC Small Group
- Our DC small group is meeting in homes – primarily in Southwest, Capitol Hill and Deanwood. Our group draws from the southern and eastern parts of DC, PG County and Virginia. We gather most Tuesday evenings from 7:30-9:00. Contact us to learn more.
- Maryland Small Group
- Our Maryland small group is currently re-organizing. We are planning to begin meeting in pubs and discussing scripture together. If you’re in the Silver Spring area, Rockville, or northern DC, contact us to learn more.
I’m not sure I’m ready for a small group…
Both because of size, and by design, our small groups are anything but an anonymous experience. In a group with 6-12, we get to know people fast! We know that this might be a little intense for some folks, especially as a first interaction with our community. But don’t worry – there are others ways to get to know us.
To begin with, our small groups occasionally hold larger social events, inviting a lot of folks who aren’t normally involved in the small group. This is an opportunity to get to know us in a low-key, informal setting.
Another way to get involved is to participate in our larger gatherings. There are times when we come together as a whole community, from across the DC metro region, for a shared time of worship. For more details, contact us via email, or join our Facebook group to stay in the loop! Also, check us out on Meetup.